English Cut Beef Short Ribs




I love, I mean LOVE short ribs almost any style. About a month ago I made Ox tail and now am having an affair with Ox tail. I am torn between two lovers. I was a little irritated when Ox tail was not available to me at the Butchers tonight. Bastard.
So back to the ole' and ball and chain. My first love.

I had the choice of English short-ribs and chose these since I have not made these before, eaten plenty of them, mostly Asian style. My first tryst with Ox tail included a Mother Hubbard scenario as I only had a few things to make my sauce with. I must say the 'end' result was incredible, sauce thick and rich. Soooo, tonight, I am remaking the sauce with English Short-ribs all the while thinking about my new sidekick, Ox.

Sauce
1 can of tomato soup
splash of good cab (maybe a 1/4 cup)the rest for me! :)
about a 1/4 cup beef broth
fresh grated garlic 2 cloves
bayleaf 1
1/2 tsp dried thyme
garlic powder
dash or two cayenne pepper
onion powder
couple of dashes of soy sauce
couple dashes Worcestershire sauce
tsp or so of extra hot horseradish
sea salt and pepper

Mixed all in a baking dish. Meanwhile, I used the dry ingredients from my sauce, scored the meat and rubbed in the spices, and browned both sides in Canola Oil. Transferred to dish. Covered and braised for 2 hours.Fall off the bone and so yummy. I love that we have 6 more weeks of winter. As much as I love spring-summer dishes, by far,the fall-winter dishes are my favorite. Ribs spooning next to homemade horseradish sour cream mash potatoes.

Homemade chocolate chip cookies for Megs and Kaycee Kaycee.


New little treasure "SO CAB" Cabernet from Mendocino County. I shop for good meats at a little store near my house away from commercials store. I am pretty picky with my red wines and this little gem was perfect from the minute I opened it and at a great price. 10.99 a bottle. And from Mendocino one of the prettiest spots in California.

Comments

Tanya Kristine said…
i LOVE the wine bottle...hahaha...and as laways i love your damn short ribs.
deb said…
you know i did not read the back of that bottle till after i had a glass and it was so clever. i was happy for a 2005 Mendocino cab. it was so good. I am actually going to buy myself a case of it.I've never bought more than two bottles. wooohoo. that's how good it is.
deb said…
and I know you're having an affair with my ribs too. They ARE undeniably delicious. But just wait till you have ox-tail. It will blow your mind.
Tanya Kristine said…
i'll take you to costco and see if they have it there...cheaper. and i can finally get my firelogs...hahaha...
buffalodick said…
I bet you never tried calf's tongue- Sounds gross, but I'd bet you'd like it more than the other end!

Popular Posts