My Mousakka














My way is 1 hour & 15 minutes + the 30 minutes to dry out eggplant (can be done ahead of time & refrigerated. This is also a smaller version than a traditional Greek Mousakka.

I took 2 large eggplants that I cut length wise about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkled them with salt on both side and laid on paper towels for 30 minutes to draw out moisture. Wiped and pat dried the eggplant then brushed with olive oil. Put slices onto a baking sheet into a preheated 350 oven for 15 minutes to tenderize. Meanwhile, I sauteed half an onion and 1lb of ground beef. Then to the meat I added 15 ounces of trader joe's all natural, organic marinara sauce that I doctored up with sea salt, fresh ground pepper, cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg & a little brown sugar then simmered to thicken sauce.
Made a delicious bechamel sauce that I added fresh grated nutmeg & a dash of Tabasco to. A key to a great Moussaka is executing a great bechamel.

Removed eggplant from oven. Then layered in a 13x9 dish: A little sauce and olive oil to the bottom of the dish then eggplant, meat sauce, parmesan cheese, repeat. Then topped off with bechamel & baked at 350 for 30 minutes, then added more parmesan and bake for 30 minutes more. This was so, so very close to as good as the longer version with homemade tomato sauce. Serves about 6. Accompanied by Simple Southern Greens of Mustard, Turnip, Collards, & Spinach that was sauted with red onion, green onion, garlic in olive oil, seasoned with sea salt, pepper, red chile flakes, & fresh grated nutmeg. Simmered greens in tomato juice & chicken stock for 35 minutes until tender. I love Mousakka!

Comments

Tanya Kristine said…
wow. that sounds AWESOME!
deb said…
t: & you don't like eggplant. I could make you a lover of it with this dish!
that looks amazing... i love eggplant and I love moussaka
buffalodick said…
Count me in.. If we all get together someday- you bring this!
deb said…
I will I will. We need to do a "round the country potluck"
how could we swing it??? like I said in the past what a great party we'd all have!
Bravo Deb! looks good... Eggplants being in season, now is the best time to make Moussaka. :)
deb said…
Sam: Coming from you...Thank you!

Popular Posts