I Won't Be Hitchhiking Any Time Soon


Going my Way? Game of Thumb Wars? Odds in Your favor!

Today started out so promising. That was until my thumb betrayed me by getting the top half of itself completely closed in the corner side of the trunk of my car while in the grocery store parking lot . After 4 hours at the emergency room and 8 shots of Novocaine or lanocane (whatever) to the thumb. It's broken and tendon severed.

At first when I saw it stuck in the trunk, I thought OH MY GOD, I've severed it. I was alone and of course my keys dropped. I tried to reach over the trunk with my free hand to open it to free the dumb thumb, but I could not quite get it. So then with the thumb still in there I had to reach down to get my keys & finally pop open the trunk. Anyway, some nice guy saw me bleeding profusely and brought me some towels and a Pepsi (somehow having the conscious of mind to request a diet).. I got a reg Pepsi to sooth the almost severed appendage.

Oh and it's my right hand thumb. I'm right handed. So driving the manual stick shift to the ER was a no go. Called Pat at work & he came and got me 20 bloody minutes later and drove my bloody thumb to my PCP, then to the ER.

My thumb was hit at the hospital, Everyone wants to know the stupid details of my clumsy thumb. So now I'm Home and this has taken so long to write. I did have an enchilada post that was in the plan today. But we can all thank dumb thumb for ruining that. I'm putting thumb down for a nap.

What's the lesson here? BEFORE closing doors/trunks remove all limbs & appendages. It was very surreal to see my thumb stuck there like that. It for some reason reminded me of the Ben Stiller's scene in "There's Something about Mary", Franks & Beans.

So how's your day been?
P/S If you want to see a pic we have one. It's gory if you're into that?
I'll be breaking from blogging. This took about 30 minutes to write. xxoo ;)

Comments

Ouch! Deb, I hope it heals quickly!!! Sorry to hear it. :( Take care of yourself.
buffalodick said…
I am so sorry... I really hope you heal quickly- for a number of reasons, some selfish. I hate to hear you were hurt, I want you to heal painlessly and quick, and I will miss your writings- but I do understand priorities...
A Buffalo joke to help! Indian guide, with ear to ground
say "Buffalo come".. Hunter says "How do you know that?" Indian guide say; "My ear is wet, Buffalo come, right there..."
BIG BUMMER and it does paint a wild picture of a car attached to your hand.......you probably know already that I want to see the picture...I cant even imagine the trobbing pain you must be feeling...
Tanya Kristine said…
ohmygod Debby!!! i'm so sorry!!! my butt tingled just reading that, you poor thing! only tiny tiny bit funny that you dropped your keys while your thumb was still in trunk.

i want a pix.
Michelle Ann said…
I am sorry...that happened, but the way you tell it made me laughed. Or maybe it's all those "Debbie Accidents" that T has told me about.

Hugs and Kisses to your boo boo :)
deb said…
you are all so wonderful. trust me it was an oddly sort of funny day. i always laugh & makes jokes when i get myself into a nervous situation. i'm just glad i had the mindset to not panic and just do what i needed to which was call pat very calmly. bummer is i bled all over my new newbalances. the worse part was not the actual trunk to thumb that was quick. it was the numbing shots to the thumb(4 or 5) at my primary who then decided i needed to go ER because of tendon damage & then the additional 4-5 shots because the initial had wore off by the time ER doc got to see me. i did not cry, not one. i just did not let pat leave my side. he's been a really great nurse. working on downloading hamburger thumb from the phone. thanks again everybody. i feel the love. i heart you all ;)
Tanya Kristine said…
I WANT A THROBBING PICTURE!
Tanya Kristine said…
son.
of.
a.
bitch.

looks like Hostel.
deb said…
t.k.:
i took it down. been there long enough + i've repeated the trunk scene 4000x in my head thanks to the vicodin that kept me up all the way till 4am. i hate narcotics! i do not understand people's obession?? I'm going to see if i can head off mr.pain with good tylenol today. ok i'm going to sleep watching "what about Bob?" Watch your limbs & have great day ;)~
Megan said…
pat and I are going to make fun of you
deb said…
eileen: what's new
Dining Alone said…
that SUCKS. I saw the bandaged thumb in the pancake video and immediately thought it was a knife accident!

Popular Posts